Power and Authority of a Disciple (Luke 5:12-26)
Before Jesus could send out His disciples, He needed to demonstrate to them the use of the power and authority He is going to give them.
For the disciples to use such power and authority, they have to be intimate with the Father, just as Jesus with the Father.
John 5:19 – 19Then Jesus answered and said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner.
- Jesus demonstrated His power and authority to His disciples from the inclination of His mind toward the unclean leper.
- Jesus’ power of choice prompted Him to respond and act without reluctance.
- The opposite is procrastination.
2. The presence of God.
- Jesus declared that for anyone to come to the presence of God, he must deal with his sins first.
- For a disciple to correctly use his power and authority, and see the result of them, he must first accept the sending, second receive the presence of the Holy Spirit to go with him, and then he is authorized to declare the absolution of reconciliation.
John 20:21-23 – 21 So Jesus said to them again, “Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” 22And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”
约翰福音5：19 – 19耶稣对他们说，我实实在在地告诉你们，子凭着自己不能作什么，惟有看见父所作的，子才能作。父所作的事，子也照样作。
约翰福音20：21-23 – 21耶稣又对他们说，愿你们平安。父怎样差遣了我，我也照样差遣你们。22说了这话，就向他们吹一口气，说，你们受圣灵。23你们赦免谁的罪，谁的罪就赦免了。你们留下谁的罪，谁的罪就留下了。