Worship and Service (Luke 10:38-42)
The one thing that Jesus said it will not be taken away from Mary, did not mean the services of Martha were not needed. However, Mary has chosen the good part of the service to the Lord.
1. The good part of the service is the two ways of servicing and pleasing the Lord that carries the Gospel message.
- John 12:3 – Then Mary took a pound of very costly oil of spikenard, anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped His feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the oil.
- The language of service in the world is not applicable in the Kingdom. The language of service in the Kingdom is worship.
- 1 Chronicles 28:9 – “As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him…
- The approach of service – spiritual receptivity, concentrated and single heartedness.
2. One thing is needful which will not be taken away.
- If too much engrossed our mind, we may lose the real meaning of a quiet resignation at the feet of Jesus.
- If services rendered to the Lord according to His view, we will own the immortalized life as said by Jesus – “which will not be taken away from…”
- Choosing to submit to the immortalized life Giver has become an urgent better choice.
3. Loving relationship generates worshipful atmosphere with meaningful services.
- Love – A pleasing surrender of friendship to a friend.
- Ephesians 5:21 – subjecting yourselves one to another in the fear of Christ. ASV
- Meaningful service could be once in a life time.
- Matthew 26:13 – Assuredly, I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be told as a memorial to her.”
- The action which the world blames, through the spirit of envy, covetousness, or malice, God takes delight to distinguish and record.