The Spirit and the Word
1. Pentecost – 50th day after Passover
- Passover remembers the sacrifice of the Passover Lamb, the first day of Unleavened Bread remembers the Exodus from Egypt, the seventh day of Unleavened Bread remembers the crossing of the Red Sea, the counting of the Omer – 49 days before days before the giving of the Torah at Sinai, and Shavuot (Pentecost) remembers the giving of the Torah exactly seven weeks after the Exodus ( on Sivan 6) .
- The account of the giving of Torah – Exodus 19
2. Significance of Shavuot
- Before the giving of Torah (instruction), God’s promise was given and the people has responded with a commitment to obey. (Exodus 19:4-8)
- In the giving of Torah, God called His people His special treasure.
- God revealed Himself by giving instructions for living
3. Significance of Pentecost
- Acts 2
- Outpouring of the Holy Spirit and true conviction and conversion took place
- Restoration of God’s order for God’s people (I Peter 2:9).
- Invitation to the nations of the world to come into relationship with God
- The outpouring of the Holy Spirit complete the purpose of the giving of Torah – so that all those who receive Him are God’s own special treasure – His children (John 1:12)