Power From On High (Acts 1:1-8)
- The power from on high that Jesus mentioned comes from the person of the Holy Spirit. This fulfills what Jesus promised to His disciples that He will be with them to the end of the age.
- Acts 1:8
8 But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
- The power from on high is necessary for the disciples.
- To open our mind to understand the Scriptures so that as disciples we may execute God’s Word and fulfill His purpose and continue witnessing.
- Acts 1:16
16 “Men and brethren, this Scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit spoke….
- Acts 1:21-22
21 “Therefore, of these men who have accompanied us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, 22 beginning from the baptism of John to that day when He was taken up from us, one of these must become a witness with us of His resurrection.”
- The power from on high is Jesus’ presence and commission connecting the life of the disciples with the world for salvation.
- No one can refute the truth of Jesus’ saving power when the disciples bear witnesses for Him.
- Acts 4:13-14
Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled. And they realized that they had been with Jesus. 14 And seeing the man who had been healed standing with them, they could say nothing against it.
- The disciples bear witness right at where their fields are. Even at death.
- Acts 9:36-37
At Joppa there was a certain disciple named Tabitha, which is translated Dorcas. This woman was full of good works and charitable deeds which she did.
- Acts 9:39
And all the widows stood by him weeping, showing the tunics and garments which Dorcas had made while she was with them.