Church and Community
Who is the Church?
- Lev 26:12-13
12 I will walk among you and be your God, and you shall be My people. 13 I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that you should not be their slaves; I have broken the bands of your yoke and made you walk upright.
- Church is not an institution, it is a community of people
What is the Church?
- Community of Covenant people (Lev 26:3-8)
“If you walk in My statutes and keep My commandments, and perform them, 4 then I will give you rain in its season, the land shall yield its produce, and the trees of the field shall yield their fruit. 5 Your threshing shall last till the time of vintage, and the vintage shall last till the time of sowing; you shall eat your bread to the full, and dwell in your land safely. 6 I will give peace in the land, and you shall lie down, and none will make you afraid; I will rid the land of evil beasts, and the sword will not go through your land. 7 You will chase your enemies, and they shall fall by the sword before you. 8 Five of you shall chase a hundred, and a hundred of you shall put ten thousand to flight; your enemies shall fall by the sword before you.
- Community of Faith – expressing personal and corporate faith
- “I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not his day. This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this earth, I bid you stand….”
- Community of Worship (Lev 26:1-2)
“You shall not make idols for yourselves; neither a carved image nor a sacred pillar shall you rear up for yourselves; nor shall you set up an engraved stone in your land, to bow down to it; for I am the Lord your God. 2 You shall keep My Sabbaths and reverence My sanctuary: I am the Lord.”
How can we get involved?
- Involved in corporate worship and cells
- Sharing the gospel, your testimonies, be an “Andrew”
- Volunteers – administrative matters, ushering, cleaning, worship team, leadership, etc
- Do it all in a community spirit!