Power over Nature
The Fifth Sign: Walking on Water (John 6:16-23)
1. Jesus revealed His power over nature to His disciples, so that they would not miss Him as the Messiah.
- When the sign (walking on water) has deeper significance – I AM.
- Jesus’ higher nature of is evident is His Word and now the omnipotent power over nature.
- Like Moses, Jesus is the Prophet sent by God as infallible guide who would tell all things to give us peace.
- Deuteronomy 18:15 – The LORD your God will raise up for you a Prophet like me from your midst, from your brethren. Him you shall hear.
2. Those who are in the deep of their sea and storm of life shall see the Lord’s work.
- Psalms 107:23-24 – Those who go down to the sea in ships, Who do business on great waters, they see the works of the LORD, And His wonders in the deep.
- Sea and storm in life are unavoidable. Sometimes it is the Lord’s doing to keep us out of the temptation of countenancing worldliness that may cause us to lose sight of what the Lord is accomplishing in the first place.
3. Only those who welcome and value the presence of Jesus shall have their sea and storm overcome “immediately”.
- Psalms 107:28-30 – Then they cry out to the LORD in their trouble, And He brings them out of their distresses. He calms the storm, So that its waves are still. Then they are glad because they are quiet; So He guides them to their desired haven.