Service and Duty
Why do we do what we do?
- Why do we serve?
- Luke 17:5-10
And the apostles said to the Lord,” Increase our faith.”6 So the Lord said, ” If you have faith as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be pulled up by the roots and be planted in the sea, ‘ and it would obey you. 7 And which of you, having a servant plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, ” Come at once and sit down to eat ‘? 8 But will he not rather say to him, ” Prepare something for my supper, and gird yourself and serve me till I have eaten and drunk, and afterward you will eat and drink ‘? 9 Does he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I think not. 10 So likewise you, when you have done all those things which you are commanded, say, ‘We are unprofitable servants. We have done what was our duty to do. ‘”
Faith and Duty
- Service out of duty – When we serve as servant, we are only fulfilling our duty
- Service as a consequence of our faith – When we serve God or do things for God because of our position in God’s Kingdom as sons, we serve God out of love
- Faith transform our attitude, our service, our worship (Luke 17:17-19)
So Jesus answered and said, “Were there not ten cleansed? But where are the nine? 18 Were there not any found who returned to give glory to God except this foreigner?” 19 And He said to him, ” Arise, go your way. Your faith has made you well.”
Service and fruitfulness
- Our attitude in our service will determine the degree of fruitfulness in our service
- Until we begin to serve God out of love for God, we may remain unprofitable servants!
- Our love for Jesus can hold us bound to His service